Thursday 22 July 2010

Magazine Magic

First, a slap on the wrist for going a whole two weeks two days without a word. I did try to keep it to at least one post a week of updates. In my defence, I have been working really hard on the biggest image I have ever done, another photoshoot and the christening of my nephew. The other two I will talk about in a future post when they are fully wrapped up, but the photoshoot is definitely a fun place to start.

Sometimes the best feeling you can get from a photoshoot is feeling like you are getting to know someone. Angel came to me with a design brief. She needed some images for a magazine feature and for a great blog she has started - The Natural Lounge. After searching for hair care information for natural afro hair, she was just a little bit disappointed to find out most help and information was US based for US people. So she did something about it!

The shoot funnily enough came about because the scheduled future date was cancelled and we spontaneously had an earlier date free. Unfortunately for me, that date was the day we found out we had to cancel. As in "Shoot, we have to cancel. Are you free today?!" Now... like most professionals, I like to plan. I like to do my research, come up with ideas, then flow on the day. Smoooooooth. Ish. Unplanned shoots are like when people ask me what do I prefer, weddings or portraits? I love both for completely different reasons! An unplanned shoot makes you make the best of what you have and think creatively under pressure with often not very much around.

I came with my ideas. Angel came with her ideas. We chucked them in the idea generator, and ran with it. And after a number of mad facial poses and some cracking up, we came up with some magazine magic...




Well, some may have been magic, but maybe not for the same magazine article!
Thanks Angel. I had a great time!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed working with you, it was fun and the photos came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unplanned is good, the photos have more feeling and less thinking. Unplan all further photoshoots!

    ReplyDelete