Saturday 6 October 2012

Fight the morning zombies!

It happened. I don't know when it crept up on me, but I felt it one morning last week and have been feeling it ever since. That feeling of having to get up but still being dead to the world. You get up with an undead groan, long face, slow movements. It's that time of year people. The morning zombies are back!

Even my yawn sounded like the muffled moans of the undead. Instead of an Instagram filter being applied to the sights I saw, it was a Tim Burton filter of blacks, greys and "why is it still dark?" Why? Why? Whywhywhy??? The phrase "ungodly hour" would apply if it wasn't for the fact that it was the same hour that I have been waking up at for years now.

Damn. It's that time of year again.

The time of year when waking up is a fight between nature and nurture: the nature of your bodies instincts to get up with the sun, whenever that is, and nurturing a financial income. Nature vs nurture. Nature vs modern life. Nature vs a another groggy poke of the snooze button.

We must fight back! Fight the hoards of zombies around you. I have already planned on using some of the winter to try to continue some projects I have on the back burner and just push forward my craft. There is so much inspiration out there and so many people doing great things, people who have found the secret to avoiding zombification (I don't care if that's not a word!) and making every day mean something. I remember watching Jackie Chan talk about one of his teachers. His teacher said that every injury was a perfect chance to perfect the ability on the uninjured part of his body. Because unless you are perfect, something always needs to get better.

I guess the winter is a perfect opportunity to think outside the box and improve myself. What do the arrival of the morning zombies mean for you?

Angus D

No comments:

Post a Comment