Sunday 18 March 2012

Your images are safe with me. They look pretty good too!

Technology and change. It makes and breaks our "developed world" lives. Well, it makes and breaks mine anyway! In the last few weeks, I've been changing, upgrading, and generally looking up new nascent and needed technology to augment the heartfelt creative skills. ... Maybe we are all becoming cyborgs - funky technology precisely wrapped around a warm imperfect heart.



I recently bought Lightroom 4, an amazing piece of software. I've been walking my way around it in between important shoots. It's a bit like a good friend coming back from a long time abroad with a new lifestyle - they are still the person you know and love, but different. Shifted. A hidden element. You have to explore them for a while to see where the old friend finishes and the new friend begins. That's me and my good friend Lightroom. We've had some arguments, but I think we are very good together. :-)

Backup. Backup backup backup. How many of us actually do it? You do? Seriously? Properly? "What is properly" I hear you ask? One or two backups? Nope. Someone once told me that you haven't properly backed up your stuff unless you have two backups AND at least one backup off-site (away from the computer you are using) AND you have tested the backups.

Hmmmm... Still think you've backed up?

I've been searching for ages for the holy grail of the best backup solution and have needed various ingredients to come together nicely. For one, the best company providing backup for my needs. A fast enough internet connection is the other hugely important ingredient. Get fibre optic broadband. Get fibre optic broadband. Get fibre optic broadband. I won't bore you with all the details, and there are a few, but suffice to say, after a few wrong partners, I have found the holy grail of backups best for me. BBM. Tm. I don't care about Blackberry's trademark. Mine is more important. Well, more important to you!

Take home message: Your images look better than ever and are more safe than ever.

Now, I need an excuse to "test" that new iPad...

Angus D

No comments:

Post a Comment